Friday, January 3, 2014

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter, Honey & Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gluten-Free Peanut Butter, Honey & Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mmmm … uh… chickpeas?! You go first.

Oh, Facebook — I love ya. Every day, you suggest wonderfully spammy websites to visit, weight loss potions to purchase, and weird businesses to “Like”. You also make my tummy happy, by spreading crazy recipes like a rampant virus through my news feed.

This recipe recently appeared in my news feed on Facebook no less than five times. Apparently, the ingredients are so weird people can’t resist sharing it with their Facebook friends. If you are on Facebook, you have probably seen it recently. While technically it is a chocolate chip cookie, I use the term “cookie” rather loosely. It contains no flour, eggs or butter, which any self-respecting cookie should contain. No, my dear sugarholics, this cookie is made from chick peas. You read that correctly! Chick peas, peanut butter, honey, baking powder, chocolate chips and a pinch of salt. That’s it.

I am skeptical by nature, so I needed to try it out. Mr. Cake made a rude face when I described it to him. However, I knew if he liked it, it could be a winner. The recipe doesn’t make very many cookies, about a dozen and a half. They turned out well – I flattened the sticky balls of dough a little to achieve a nice “cookie” shape. As a bonus, the recipe is gluten-free, if your baking powder contains corn starch instead of wheat starch (most do)**. I recommend natural peanut butter – I like the crunchy variety. They were delicious – and Mr. Cake liked them, too!

Share your experience with me if you try it!
More like "cookie-adjacent"

Peanut Butter, Honey & Chocolate Chip Cookies
Based on a recipe floating around Facebook, and on this website
A food processor is required for this recipe.
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels.
1/2 cup natural peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F. 
  2. Drain, rinse and pat dry the measured chick peas with paper towels. 
  3. Puree chick peas in a food processor until smooth. 
  4. Add peanut butter, honey, baking powder and salt, and puree again until smooth and completely blended together. 
  5. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. 
  6. Place heaping spoonfuls of batter onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. The dough will be very sticky! 
  7. Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until just starting to darken on the bottoms of the cookies. 
  8. Cool on wire racks and enjoy! 
**Worried about chemicals or unknown ingredients in your baking powder? Make your own – it’s really easy! To make 1 Tablespoon of baking powder, mix together 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar, and 1 teaspoon of corn starch. Use immediately or store in an air-tight container.

No comments: