Saturday, January 26, 2013

Petite Vanilla Bean Scones

3 scones = 1 regular-sized scone, right? RIGHT???

Whenever I indulge myself with a treat from that certain coffee franchise (you know the one I mean!), my eyes are always drawn to those tiny, speckled white jewels — the petite vanilla bean scone. Such a sweet, vanilla-packed bite in a tiny, guilt-free (almost) size. My budget gets tighter this time of year, so I set out to see if I could make a petite vanilla bean scone for myself.



Sconage!
After some research, I narrowed down the choices to one. This one looked like the one I wanted to try, however, the recipe called for more vanilla beans than I could afford. I used vanilla bean paste in the scones instead of beans, to save a bit of money. The paste is great – a little goes a long way and has the tiny seeds in it that gives your recipe that speckled look. I usually use one teaspoon of paste to equal one vanilla bean. If you don’t have paste or can’t find it, use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract as a substitute. I do strongly suggest using the vanilla beans for the icing to give it that great look and sweetly floral vanilla flavour.

The perfect excuse to use my cute china teacups!



Remember these Petite Vanilla Bean Scones next time you have a fancy brunch or high tea with your favourite Auntie!

Petite Vanilla Bean Scones
Adapted from this recipe by Iowa Girl Eats

Ingredients
Vanilla Scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, cubed, cold
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste* (I bought mine here)
or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Vanilla Bean Glaze
2 vanilla beans
3 cups icing sugar
8 to 12 tablespoons heavy cream

Method:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425°F. 
  2. In a food processor with metal blade attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. (You could also use a hand-held pastry blender). 
  3. Add cubed, cold butter and pulse until blended. 
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together heavy cream, egg and vanilla paste. Add to flour mixture and pulse until mixture forms a dough ball. 
  5. Turn dough out onto a floured board or countertop. Roll out into a rectangle about 1/2” thick. 
  6. Cut rectangle into 6 equal pieces. Then cut each piece diagonally. Cut each diagonal piece AGAIN to form the mini scone. 
  7. Place cut mini scones onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake 8-9 minutes or until just barely turning colour on the bottom. 
  8. Cool completely. 
  9. While scones are cooling, make the glaze. Cut each vanilla bean in half along its length and using a sharp knife, scrape out the dark seeds into a large bowl. Add icing sugar and 8 tablespoons of the heavy cream. Mix until blended. Keep adding cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze drips off a spoon in a steady stream. 
  10. Dip each scone in glaze, getting all sides covered. Place iced scones on a cooling rack until dry. 

Makes 24 mini scones.






This column first appeared in Stimuli Magazine. Check out my column
'Just Desserts' for more sweet and delicious recipes!


5 comments:

Marialuisa said...

I love vanilla and I very fond of scones, they remind me the years I spent in London in a boarding school. I used to have scones at weekends at tea time.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

Sara said...

I love these at Starbucks...one of my favorite treats! Love the idea of making them at home, yum! :)

Retro Gentleman said...

Great read! I love these scones at Starbuck's so I'll definitely have to try this recipe. Also, your teasets are quite lovely! Where did you find them?

Lulu said...

I inherited the tea sets from my mother, so unfortunately I don't know where they came from! I'm thinking of continuing her collection by adding more. Thanks for reading!

Ice Cream Las Vegas said...

This is something new and amazing recipe found today. Sound delicious one. Surely will try it. Keep sharing. Thanks for sharing.