|Crunchin and munchin – a pepperminty snack to give away|
Monday, November 26, 2012
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
|Stop laughing. Stop it.|
Did someone say balls? [Cue juvenile snickering]
When my holiday baking starts to ramp up to a satisfyingly frenetic level, I like to sneak in a few recipes that require a little "Christmas cheer". These rum balls are a grown-up version of the ever-popular cake pop. They are rich and fudgy, but I think I would add slightly more rum next time. I like them to be rich enough to satisfy with only one bite. I rolled the balls [giggle] in sparkle sugar, but you could also roll them in cocoa, or dip them in dark or white chocolate.
I know, I know — I have a warped sense of humour. I blame this. Enjoy!
Festive Christmas Rum BallsMakes 4 dozen Ingredients
Non-stick cooking spray
3/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 large eggs
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup dark rum
Sparkle sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Melt butter & chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for about 3 minutes on 75% power. Stir until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, light brown sugar & vanilla. Slowly whisk in the melted chocolate mixture. Fold in the flour, until just blended.
- Spray a 12" x 17" rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray & pour in the batter. Use a spatula to spread it evenly to the edges of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Transfer the pan to a rack & cool.
- Break up the brownie pieces into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on low until the brownie is completely broken up. Slowly add in the rum, a bit at a time & beat until the mixture forms into a ball. You will know it’s the right texture if you can easily roll the dough & it holds its shape.
- Scoop out the dough by the tablespoon & roll into a ball. Toss in sugar & chill until ready to serve.
This recipe first appeared in the first print edition of Stimuli magazine. Read the electronic version here.
Monday, November 19, 2012
|Gooey.... and ALL MINE|