Nuts are a special ingredient around the holidays. Due to their cost, we only use them around special occasions. These crispy, nutty cookies have an irresistible rum glaze that makes them very special, indeed. I always get requests for these. I hope you like them!
|Rum and nuts: sounds like a pirate party!|
Walnut Cookies Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
1-1/2 cups walnut pieces
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1-1/2 cups walnut halves
3/4 cups icing sugar
3 tablespoons rum
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop walnut pieces and almonds.
- In a stand mixer, beat egg and sugar until foamy, about 2 minutes. Add baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, juice and zest and mix until combined. Stir in nuts until combined.
- Drop by measuring teaspoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2" apart. Place a walnut half on top of each cookie.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until semi soft. Cool cookies on rack.
- Whisk rum and icing sugar together until smooth. Brush glaze over cookies.